You want to sell your Portland house, and you want to get top dollar.
But “What do I need to do to sell my house in Portland“?
Here are some tips on how to get your home ready to sell if you’re looking for top dollar that the market will bear:
*NOTE: These instructions are if you’re looking to get full retail value for your house sale. However, if you don’t want to do the things below… or don’t have the time or money to do the things below… you can still sell your Portland house fast for a fair value in a win-win sale that’ll save you time and expense.
1) Clean, clean and clean. Even vacant houses get dusty and dirty, so keep it up! Nothing short of gleaming perfection will impress buyers. If you’re not a total clean freak, hire someone who is, who can help you out until you sell.
If you’re a slob, consider finding somewhere else to live while you show your house. Maybe you can bribe your cleanest friend to trade houses with you? Just joking! Seriously though, keeping everything immaculate really helps buyers feel comfortable in your space. Nothing stops people faster from buying faster than feeling grossed out.
2) Cultivate a cohesive, neutral style. There was a time when it was recommended that you paint everything off-white. Not so much anymore. In fact, some subtle colors can really help change the perception of spaces – for example, a soft yellow will help brighten up a dark kitchen. A deep dark blue or green will help soften a bright bedroom and make it feel calm which is conducive to sleep. Be careful, though, because dark colors will also make rooms feel small.
A high-quality, professional paint job is well worth the money spent. On a subconscious level, people are drawn to, and will pay more money for a property with just the right colors and clean, neat lines. It makes the home feel better built, even though it’s just paint.
Optical illusions are real, and psychologists study this stuff. Don’t believe me? Look it up.
When you ask yourself, What do I need to do to sell my house?” Don’t forget the outside! Curb appeal is very important and can make or break the sale. Paint is a crucial element in making your house appealing.
3) Fix or replace anything that’s broken. Yeah, it might feel like a waste of money to spend an extra couple hundred bucks to replace a dishwasher, only to have the buyer replace it again after they move in. But really, many buyers will get a home inspection and use the things you didn’t repair or replace to bring down the price you are asking. As the seller, you’ll often end up paying more in the long run, if you try to hide neglected maintenance from the purchaser – and of course you don’t want to be guilty of fraud.
Make sure you stay in compliance with all the laws.
It’s often a good use of money to hire a home inspector to come through before you put the property on the market. If you ask in advance, they’ll often charge you a tiny rate to come back after you’ve done a bunch of minor repairs and deliver you a clean bill of health. Prospective buyers love to see an independent report on the condition of the house – it makes them feel very comfortable with the purchase.
4) Make only necessary improvements. The biggest mistake people make when getting their house ready to sell is over-improving. They often spend too much money on customized frills that can’t be recovered in the sale.
Paint is about the only safe investment – it’s easy to overspend on almost everything else, and it’s easy to get ripped off by unscrupulous contractors.
It’s important to know what improvements will produce a return on investment to avoid wasting money.
5) Get expert opinions. You should definitely find at least a few decent real estate brokers who will help you price your property, but be honest with them. If you’re going to market the property on your own, don’t make enemies by lying about your intentions. Great brokers are rare, but they make more money for their clients than they earn.
6) Have a really great marketing plan. Again, great brokers earn their value by doing this work and spreading the advertising expenses across many clients. It’s pretty expensive and time-consuming to start from scratch on your own, but if you’re already a marketing expert you’re ahead of the pack.
If you’re not a market expert, spend the time listening to what the best brokers do to sell houses in Portland – just to educate yourself on the options.
7) Get a cash offer. We buy houses all over the Portland area, and we do all the work so you don’t have to deal with any of the things discussed above. If this sounds good, keep reading.
Don’t Want To Do The Things Above Yourself? But Still Want To Sell Your Portland Oregon House Fast?
While everyone wants to get as much as they possibly can from their house sale… not everyone can, or even wants to do the things required to sell at full retail value.
Repairing, cleaning, upgrading, and marketing the property… these all take money and time. We’re not talking a little money and time. When we buy a house and make improvements, it takes a crew of workers and at a minimum, could take $30,000 – and that’s for a house that simply needs cosmetic upgrades.
If you have the funds... AND you can wait the 1 – 2 months it takes to sell a house in this market… then you’ll be better off financially to make the necessary improvements and then list it on the MLS (the main property listing service that real estate agents use).
If you DON’T have the funds... AND can’t wait months to sell your house… then you may be a perfect fit for our local Portland house buying service. Call us at 971-246-7954 and we will evaluate your house, make a fair all-cash offer, and then you can decide if it’f a fit for you. You will be pleasantly surprised – we’re real people with real problems just like you. Best of all, you will be treated like a real person.
After we make a deal, we can close FAST (often times within 7 days) if you need us to.
Take a look at what you will get paid, for doing virtually nothing versus the time, expense and hassle involved with doing everything your own.
So if you’re still asking “what do I need to do to sell my house in Portland“… now you have 2 solid options.
1. Fix up the property and get it ready using the steps above to sell at top dollar
2. Let us do all of the work which saves you time, money and gives the hassle to us. We’ll make you a cash offer on your house in AS-IS condition.
If you need to sell a property near Portland, we can help you.
We buy properties like yours from people who need to sell fast.